Roles & Responsibilities
The role of the School Board:
The Fulton Board of Education consists of seven members elected to serve overlapping three-year terms as non-salaried trustees of the school district. They are the official policy-making body of the school district. As elected officials, they are responsible for the scope, depth and quality of education in the Fulton School District.
Responsibilities of the board include:
- defining the philosophy of the district
- setting goals and objectives to achieve desired educational progress
- employing professional educators to meet those goals
- establishing policies for the operation of the school district
- establishing the effectiveness of district programs and services
- developing a budget consistent with educational needs and community resources
- communicating the needs and progress of the district to the community, educational governing boards and legislators
The Superintendent of Schools, selected by the Board of Education, is responsible for implementing the educational programs and policies adopted by the board, managing day-to-day operations in the district and advising the board on all matters related to the effective management of the schools.