The library media program is fully integrated into the school's curriculum and is central to the lifelong learning process. It ensures that students and staff are effective users of ideas and information. The library media center provides an environment in which students and staff learn to access, evaluate, develop, and use information in a variety of formats.
Teaching information skills is the joint responsibility of the building library media specialist and the classroom teacher. Information and technology skills are most meaningful when taught within a subject area, within an inter-disciplinary unit, or within a unit that addresses an authentic, real-life need or problem. Careful planning and cooperation among all teachers and media specialists is essential.
The library media program fulfills this mission under the leadership of the library media specialist with the assistance of the library media support staff to function as an integral part of the entire school program.
1. To provide collections that support the curriculum and new Learning Standards for New York State.
2. To provide intellectual and physical access to information for a diverse population whose needs are rapidly
3. To provide learning experiences that encourage users to become discriminating, skilled users of information.
4. To provide assistance and direction in meeting informational needs.
5. To provide leadership instruction and consulting assistance in the use of instructional and information technology.
6. To provide resource and activities that contribute to lifelong learning.
7. To provide a facility that functions as the information center of the school.
8. To provide resources and learning activities that support the concepts that intellectual freedom and access to information are prerequisite to effective and responsible citizenship in a democracy.
9. To provide assistance in the use of technology as a tool for accomplishing complex tasks and fullfilling clear curriculum objectives.
10. To provide a variety of literature in oder to assist with the instruction of reading, and to encourage the enjoyment of reading and appreciation of good literature.
Library Database Search Our library database subscriptions have tons of resources for research. Click the link to login and get started.